Protesters marching in the tens of thousands rallied in Italy on Sunday to rail against the policies of the new coalition government. Around 100,000 protesters, led by trade unionists, converged on Rome to wave red flags and placards, urging changes to austerity measures. The union-led crowd called for the new government of centre-left Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, to focus on job ...
Americans are at their most optimistic since 2007 according to a Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan index of consumer sentiment. The preliminary index has shown optimism increased to 83.7 in May as stocks surged and real estate climbed. With record stock prices boosting household wealth and unemployment down in some areas, consumers were able to see their way through the effects of ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Britain's Financial Times was hacked last week by a mysterious group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army. The newspaper's technology blog was hacked to display a slogan saying: "Hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army." Several Twitter feeds run by the Financial Times were also plastered with similar slogans. The FT later said its blogs and social media accounts had been compromised ...
Target Corp has opened a new office base in San Francisco in order to discover technology ideas. With the second-largest US retailer trying to grow its online commerce business, a Technology Innovation Center has been set up to develop mobile commerce, which has become a particular focus of retailers because new technology allows people to use their mobile devices to shop. With a huge ...
Despite the adoration of its legions of primarily twentysomething male fans, the simple fact is that Kevin Smiths feature debut Clerks is not a great movie. It is not even a particularly good movie. But, it is an exceedingly important movie that is crucial in defining the shifts in the Holl ... ...
The Saudi Arabia state news agency has reported a coordinated attack on the country's government websites. Several government websites in Saudi Arabia came under heavy cyber attacks last week, shutting them down for a short time. The attacks have been traced to IP addresses from a number of countries. Saudi investigators found the attacks had been launched from hundreds of Internet ...
Chinese hackers have resumed attacks on America three months after hackers, who worked for a cyber unit of China's People's Liberation Army, went silent amid evidence that they had stolen data from scores of American companies and government agencies. The hackers appear to have resumed their attacks using different techniques, according to computer industry security experts and American ...
A court judge has ordered Akon to shell out 5,000 dollars a month in child support for his two kids. The 'Smack That' hit maker had filed a paternity case against Rozina Negusei in September 2012, as he wanted the court to establish custody, child support and legally recognize him as the father of their two sons, TMZ.com reported. After the singing sensation listed his income as 40,708 dollars ...
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday that India and China's relationship is essential for stability and prosperity in Asia and the world, while stressing the need "for an early resolution of the boundary dispute. "There are many areas of convergence between us. We agreed that the relationship is of growing significance and essential for peaceful development and stability and prosperity in ...
In a rematch of last year's Olympic final, defending champion Zhang Jike will fight for the men's singles title against Wang Hao at the World Table Tennis Championships here Monday. Zhang, the fourth seed, crushed top seed and teammate Xu Xin 11-8, 11-2, 11-9, 12-10 while Wang beat second seed Ma Long in the other all-Chinese semifinal 11-9, 11-7, 11-3, 7-11, 12-14, 11-3 Sunday night, Xinhua ...
Did I hear right?
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Turtle Bay Resort
This 4 star resort is located on the top of Oahu on the North Shore, and is one of Hawaii's ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Wisconsin StarWisconsin Star: Authoritative News Source for Wisconsin News
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Wisconsin news. From Milwaukee to Madison, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Wisconsin Star. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Wisconsin weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Large rally places job demands on Italian government
- Americans happier with economic figures
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Financial Times allegedly hacked by Syrians
- Target looks for new ideas from digital world
- Britains first astronaut to go on space mission in 2015
- Dan Dare Dreams Big British Astronaut Tim Peake To Visit Space Station in 2015
- Ground control to Major Tim Former helicopter pilot Tim Peake to be Britains first official astronaut for 20 years
- NASA One shuttle tank fixed
- Russia wants US to pay for astronaut flights to Space Station
- Chinese hackers resume cyber attacks on U.S. companies government agencies
- Chinese hackers master art of lying low
- Security Managers Journal NAC deployment means better access control at last
- JBoss Enterprise Application Platform Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Microsoft SharePoint CVE-2013-0084 Directory Traversal Vulnerability
- FinsWeekend A Hit On The Links And The High Seas
- Broncos Holliday hoping for a bigger role in 2013
- Vikings sign 3 more draft picks
- Line putting in their time this offseason
- Buccaneers sign 4th-round draft pick Akeem Spence
- Bradley Cooper takes cooking lessons from Ramsay
- MJs maid saw singer showering with child abuse victim Wade Robson
- Dog sings along to fav Adele song
- Jennifer Lawrence brother being stalked
- Yahoo Board approves billion-dollar deal to buy Tumblr
- Americans happier with economic figures
- Market Snapshot Stock futures flat no data Fed’s Evans to speak
- gyroVoice Half of Your Sales Pipeline Is Junk
- The Importance Of Women In The Boardroom QA With Baroness Mary Goudie
- How do you find the founders you want
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Wisconsin Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Deadly early morning shooting
- Whitnall High School student killed in bike crash
- Missing womans family asks public for help
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Wisconsin Presidential speculation around Scott Walker heats up as...